Networker

[Networker] Backup to disk with Networker - A couple of questions

2009-03-17 17:37:51
Subject: [Networker] Backup to disk with Networker - A couple of questions
From: stancole <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:25:05 -0400
I don't know which way your are leaning in your process to go with VTL or Disk,
but I can share our experience.  We are a smaller environment than you with
only about 60+ clients that get backed up.  We have Clarion CX500, CX3-20 and a
EMC VTL.  This was our plan to start with, just put everything to VTL the clone
to tape for offsite.  Then we implemented this plan and the results where much
different than what was planned.  The VTL itself is slick, but the upgrades are
a pain and very pricey.  We ended up moving to de-duplification instead of VTL.
 Not to promote a vendor specifically, because there are several good ones out
there, but we bought two Data Domain units for our environment.  We have one at
HQ and one at DR and they replicate between the two.  Backups are incredibly
fast, restores are even faster.  We have 110TB of data on our DD530 and are
looking at adding some more units.  They do exactly what they are supposed to
do.  We get 20:1 compression overall and our!
  ESX backups are around 55:1.  So if I were you I would seriously look at
de-dup products before chaining yourself to a VTL.  Just my $.02.