Networker

Re: [Networker] Tek-Tools vs EMC Data Protection Advisor?

2009-03-15 22:44:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tek-Tools vs EMC Data Protection Advisor?
From: Will Aymond <Wilbur.Aymond AT SHELL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 20:35:58 -0600
No offense to the people at Tek-Tools, but their product is not very good in my
opinion. (I've personally seen it fill up hard drives causing servers to go
down when it's unable to transmit for a while, it does not provide accurate
reports, requires an agent to be installed on all machines reporting, is rather
expensive for what you get, has compatibility issues, etc.)

I personally didn't purchase it to start off with (I wouldn't have), but I made
sure to replace it after a few months of spotty support. While the people at
Tek-Tools are nice, at the end of the day, their product just doesn't deliver.

You would be better off either writing your own tools (what I did), or looking
at other vendors. There are quite a few good vendors out there for this type of
tool. Look at Storage Magazine, or it's website for recommendations of various
vendors.

If you are a decent scripter/programmer, you will be able to create everything
you need in a matter of a few weeks max. -With  a pretty HTML interface, etc.

Regards,
Will