Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup to disk with Networker - A couple of questions

2009-03-13 16:10:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup to disk with Networker - A couple of questions
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:02:50 -0500
Hello,
I think this topic has been covered extensively within last 6 months or
so, please search the archive, the only advise i have to give you is that
VTL will require additional  management, complexity and licensing, while
disk if managed efficetely may be easier alternative, if you require
replication and dedupe also then VTL may provide that features and may be
worth a look.
Thanks

Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
03/13/2009 02:51 PM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Backup to disk with Networker - A couple of questions

We're looking to go to backup to disk next year when we refresh our
production environment. Initially we took a look at VTLs, but the price
was high enough to push us back to just plain disk instead. Now, we're
being told VTLs are much more affordable (so far, they still don't look
TOO affordable, but that's another discussion). Right now, we running 7.2
on Solaris, writing to SDLT320. We'll probably end up on 7.[45] by the
time we upgrade.

Anyway...

Is anyone using a VTL? If so, what are some pros/cons as compared to just
using AFT devices and managing the disks in the usual manner? We're a
moderate size environment (120-odd clients, etc.).

Also, I need to try and build a picture of just how big our overall backup

footprint is per retention period, for capacity planning purposes. I know
I can get sizes from mminfo (totalsize, sumsize, etc.) and even from the
savegroup completion reports, but is there an easier way to get an overall

total size?

Thanks.
--
   Len Philpot

   Cleco IT Network Services, PGO3 - ext 7167
(318) 484-7167

type