Networker

Re: [Networker] Disaster recovery of a Windows client question

2009-03-13 15:44:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Disaster recovery of a Windows client question
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 14:38:06 -0500
Hi,
I recently had to do a clone on VM , then my procedures had me do a newsid
process, do you know if cloning a VM image for new image will get a new
SID.
Thanks

James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
03/13/2009 02:29 PM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Disaster recovery of a Windows client question

On
> Behalf Of MIchael Leone
> Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 3:09 PM
> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
> Subject: [Networker] Disaster recovery of a Windows client question
>
> So I am practicing recovering a Windows 2003 member server in a D/R
> situation.  And the manual is telling me to re-install Windows first,
> using the same computer name as before, and (unless I am
> mis-understanding) it says to join this computer to my AD domain.
>
> Which is impossible, as the SID (Security Identifier) of the client is
now
> different, and won't match the one in AD. So I wouldn't be able to
join to
> the AD, much less proceed to the next step of running a full Networker
> recover of the System State.
>
> Which clue am I missing here?
>
> I use NetWorker 7.4 SP2.

Hello -

Although I have not tested this myself (yet), I would assume that it
updates the computer account in AD to reflect the old SID at some point
during the restore - I have some experience with this using VMWare View
(VDI), as it creates desktops "on the fly" from a single base image that
is already joined to AD, and then it quickly syspreps and "fixes" the AD
computer account/SID to be unique but "tied together" when the desktop
comes online for usage after the final reboot if that makes sense...

Have you tried it yet?

Regards,
jamie

type