Networker

[Networker] Test environments, etc. (used to be verbose output)

2009-03-12 10:42:44
Subject: [Networker] Test environments, etc. (used to be verbose output)
From: Teresa Biehler <tpbsys AT RIT DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:35:55 -0400
Yes, for this upgrade we had a limited test environment.  Our problems
since the upgrade have centered around interacting with the tape library
(we don't have a second tape library for test) or with some client
completion information.  For each change we make in production, we have
to document the risk/impacts of the change.  Here are the identified
risks for the initial upgrade to v7.4.x (initial because we upgraded to
v7.4.2 and then to 7.4.4):

Internal Scripts/Monitoring Risks: Although some changes have been made
to the development version of our monitoring scripts, database and test
backup web page, not all scripts or processes could be tested. In
particular:
- We do not have a tape library in the test environment, so server and
tape library communication could not be tested.
- We do not have tape drives in the test environment, so server and tape
drive communication could not be tested.
- We do not have a storage node in test so server and storage node
communication could not be tested.
- We have only a limited number of clients connected to the test
environment, so there are likely to be server and client interactions
that have not been tested. To minimize this risk, clients of each type
(Windows, Solaris, VMS, MS SQL, MS Exchange) have been tested.

To give an idea of scale - test had about a dozen clients, production
has 300+; test had 3 backup groups, production has 75+, test had backup
to disk only, production has some backup to disk and LOTS of backup to
tape.  Despite the limited scope of the test environment, it did allow
us to iron out some problems before the upgrade.  I can at least say
that backups and restores have all been successful.  Since the upgrade,
however, many tasks that used to be able to be done by our operators are
being done by sys admins as we try to get our scripts working with the
new version.

Do most of you have more extensive test environments?  How do you get
funding to build them?  What business case do you make?

Thanks.

Teresa