Networker

[Networker] NetWorker host: Solaris vs. Windows vs. Linux

2009-03-11 05:51:48
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker host: Solaris vs. Windows vs. Linux
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 05:48:18 -0400
stan wrote:

> > From: David Magda <dmagda < at > EE.RYERSON.CA>
> >
> > On Mar 10, 2009, at 04:16, tkimball wrote:
> >

> > > Not quite.  Solaris x64 licenses (including server) cost the same as
> > > Linux or Windows boxes - at least on the Sun Store website.
> > >

> > Solaris licenses don't cost anything--you only have to pay Sun for the
> > software if you want support. From what I've seen the price of support
> > is competitive (and often cheaper) than Red Hat.
> >
> > Solaris also runs on, and is certified by, Dell, IBM, HP, and Fujitsu
> > on their x86 gear.
> >
> > I'm assuming that NetWorker on Solaris x86 is the same as for SPARC
> > (it's just a recompile).
> >

> Unless EMC's changed its pricing for NetWorker licensing, it costs a lot
> more to license a NetWorker storage node or NetWorker server under Solaris,
> compared with Linux.

EMC did not change the license costs that I know of.

*Sun* did, however, for the EBS re-brand.  They're probably the same old
SN/Server licenses, but if you specify its running on Solaris-x64 (Intel or
AMD) they quote you the cost normally seen for Linux or Windows.  This was not
recent either; It's been a least a year since I saw the list prices on Sun
Store.

I'm currently in the process of budding off a backup group onto its own
x4100-M2 & LTO-3 drives (for WORM support).  With our discounts, the Solaris SN
license was quoted about $2K.

--TSK