Networker

[Networker] "Jukebox 'xxx' failed: Hardware Error, Diagnostic Failure on Component 0x01"

2009-03-07 12:52:22
Subject: [Networker] "Jukebox 'xxx' failed: Hardware Error, Diagnostic Failure on Component 0x01"
From: Eugene Vilensky <evilensky AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 11:49:37 -0600
Greetings,

I've recently started receiving this message when performing things that are
routine (deposit, eject, re-label).  This list archives suggest that this
might be an upside-down tape, but we are using SL500 w/ LTO3; i don't think
it's physically possible to successfully insert a badly oriented tape.

I attempted to run jbverify but, despite that nsrwatch and nwadmin report
empty drives, it attempted to eject them, with the drive issueing an error
in response "No tape in device."  Hence the drive failed the jbverify.

For fun, I loaded the drives with tapes, and attempted jbverify again, and I
received this exact message as described by the man page:

Unable to proceed to test drive <no>(<name>) in JB
             <name> as device is still loaded!

(= jbverify failure)

Is there any obvious reason why jbverify would be so confused as to the
status of the drive's load state vs. nwadmin/nsrwatch's source of
information?

--
Regards,
Eugene Vilensky