Networker

Re: [Networker] NMC sessions monitor

2009-03-02 11:03:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] NMC sessions monitor
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:00:11 -0500
> From: Vince Howard <V.Howard AT WANSBECK.GOV DOT UK>
> Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 15:52:08 -0000
> To: <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
> Subject: [Networker] NMC sessions monitor
>
> Hi,
>
> Setup: NetWorker Server v7.4.4 Build 634 running under Win2k3
>
> I upgraded our server from v7.4.2 recently in the (vain) hope that the
> sessions monitor would actually start and display something vaguely
> useful for the status of current backups/clones.  No change, it either
> doesn't display any progress whatsoever - just the start time and source
> volume info - or it updates the progress for a time and then, of its own
> accord, decides to stop bothering.  Has anybody else experienced this?
> Did you get a fix for it?
>
> While I'm on my soapbox, in my experience the 'Update NetWorker Clients'
> tool in the Software Administration Wizard is pretty sucky too.  In my
> case it manages to uninstall the old client version (7.2.2) and then
> craps out leaving you to install the client manually.

Vince, NetWorker's software update tool is supported only with version 7.3
or higher. You can complain to EMC that updates of pre-7.3 clients don't
work, but to their credit, they did document that fact in the release notes
and I am pretty sure its also documented in the Administrator's Guide.

I am disappointed that the sessions information problem isn't fixed in
7.4.4. Intend to update my Linux NetWorker server from 7.4.2 to 7.4.4 in a
couple of weeks. In fact, I submitted a change management form to do that
just a few minutes ago.