Networker

Re: [Networker] Persistent Binding - IBM "non-exclusive" drivers

2009-02-25 13:17:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Persistent Binding - IBM "non-exclusive" drivers
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:15:19 -0600
Hello,
We use  hardware which is similar to yours, you should use either IBM's
checked drivers or qualified  by MS testing as indicated at IBM site,
additionally, higher level of drivers and\or Networker allows you to use
features within the driver that makes drivers persistent across reboot (
as documented in newer release of networker and IBM release notes for the
driver).
Note: Tivoli drivers ( this is an option within ibm drivers during
install) are recommended as i recall that all the Tivoli driver does it
disallows simultaneous access to tape drive should another application on
the server wants it ( safer that way)
Additional persistent binding via HBA vendor and via setup from Adic is
possible and  may be used.
HTH

brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
02/25/2009 11:41 AM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Persistent Binding - IBM "non-exclusive" drivers

Greetings -

We've been experimenting with persistent binding in our environment and
have recently gotten it to work in our lab using the latest version of the
"non-exclusive" IBM driver - the "exclusive" version does not work.  Our
environment is:

 - Networker server version 7.4.4 running on a Windows 2003 sp2 server.
 - Several EDL based VTL's that emulate ADIC i2000 libraries with LTO3
drives (all VTL drives are dedicated).
 - A physical ADIC i2000 library with LTO3 and LTO4 drives that use
dynamic drive sharing.

The question for the forum is, is there anything about the non-exclusive
version of the IBM driver that raises red flags?  We intend to do more
testing, but if this is a dead end I'd rather spend the time elsewhere.

...and if/when we get this to work, I'm posting the process to the wiki,
it's been...err...fun.

Thanks in advance
--brerrabbit

|This was sent by drhulme AT tarrantcounty DOT com via Backup Central.

type