Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrade to LTO4 library, opinions about these libraries ?

2009-02-23 13:48:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrade to LTO4 library, opinions about these libraries ?
From: Eric Horn <iamanomad AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:36:20 -0500
Last year we purchased a rack mount HP MSL4048 w/2 LTO4 drives and 45 slots
and 3 mailbox slots (they subtract from the 45 I believe) and dual FC
connections and so far it has worked out fine for us.   It was a hair under
$18K, but that does not include hardware encryption (another $2K).   This
was a huge upgrade for us from our old ADIC Scalar 100 SDLT based system (4
drives).   Quantum kind of dropped the ball support wise and I didn't even
look to them for another system.   I haven't had any major issues, so I
can't speak about their support other than the initial model had a loose
switch inside (I couldn't reach it to fix it), so they sent me a new
chassis.   I could have opened it up and fixed it, but that would have
voided the warranty.  I didn't time the power up (It has been awhile since I
had it turned off), but it was probably in the range of 5 minutes or so.   I
already had a rack chassis laying around and built a new server for it for
under $300.  Good luck with whatever you go with!