Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrade to LTO4 library, opinions about these libraries ?

2009-02-20 12:03:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrade to LTO4 library, opinions about these libraries ?
From: "Browning, David" <DBrown AT LSUHSC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:26:19 -0600
We have 3 Spectrlogic systems, and have had great success with them.

We originally had 1 T950, as we had only 1 datacenter.   12 LTO-2 drives, and
230 slots (combination of entry/exit and storage).   We have since
replaced/upgraded that system to 10 LTO-3 drives and 380 slots.

During Hurricane Katrina, we had to get a system quick, as our datacenter
building was under 3 feet of water (data center was fine, as it is up several
floors), and Bell South/At&t lost all data connections to the building.

We bought a T120 with 6 LTO-2 drives (shipped within 2 days), and still use it
today as a small backup server, with a handful of machines.  It is always the
1st Networker to be upgraded, to see if there are going to be any problems.

We also bought a T950 for our 2nd datacenter, and have been happy with it, as
well.  If we bought something today, it would probably be one of the new models
that are between the T120 and T950, but those weren't available when we bought
the T950.

In the 5 years of service, we have never had an outright failure (knock on
wood), other than tape drives.

On our large T950, we have the regular backup server, a storage node, and 7
dedicated storage nodes connected.  Backups are a mixture of backup over fiber
and backup over GE.  Our 4 Exchange servers, and 3 SQL servers backup over
fiber.   All other backups are over GE.   That's why we have so many drives.
We also use Dynamic Drive Sharing, so that all drives can be shared by the
backup server, the "normal" storage node, and the 7 dedicated storage nodes.
We backup over 2 TB of Exchange data in about 5 hours.   Between all Windows,
SQL, and Exchange data, we backup about 6-7 TB a night.

Let me know if you want any more specific information about Spectralogic.  I
don't want to sound like a salesman, but they do have solid products.

David M. Browning Jr.
IT Project Coordinator Enterprise Backups and Help Desk