Networker

Re: [Networker] Newbie question: Networker 7.1.4 - scanning in tapes?

2009-02-11 20:08:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Newbie question: Networker 7.1.4 - scanning in tapes?
From: "Browning, David" <DBrown AT LSUHSC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:06:09 -0600
No problem other than time, and the fact that while you are trying to
keep your sanity restoring the 150 indexes, you are also trying to
restore the actual servers that had data on them.  Some index restores
can take 45 minutes to an hour to restore, if not longer (think large
filesystems with 1 million+ files) Do the math on that. Even 150 indexes
at 15 minutes would take over a day.

Timing is everything - everyone is fighting for tape drives and tape
space in your library.   Something I didn't think about pre-disaster,
was what would happen if 10 people are trying 10 different restores, on
50-100 different tapes, and you are trying to restore indexes.  You
better have a large enough library to load all of your tapes, otherwise,
you spend a lot of time moving tapes in an out of the library.

Additionally, if you think you can get away with fewer drives, you
better re-think it. This is something we changed in our DR plan.  We now
have multiple sites with either identical, or very similar, libraries
that are easily upgradeable with additional drives, and or, slots - and
capable of running multiple backup servers, and storage nodes, through
them.

David M. Browning Jr.
IT Project Coordinator Enterprise Backups and Help Desk