Networker

Re: [Networker] NSR_DIR for NDMP device, any different?

2009-02-10 12:37:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] NSR_DIR for NDMP device, any different?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:34:50 +0000
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:59:56AM -0500, dmitri wrote:
> NW7.4.4 on Sparc Solaris10, DL3D 3000 VTL
>
> running NDMP over DSA (NetApp), trying to add a global directive to
> exclude a volume from NDMP backup, with no apparent luck.  I was
> wondering if it's any different then regular nsr_directive?

Yes, quite different.

NSR directives are read and interpreted by the networker client.
There's no networker client on an NDMP backup, so they can't be used.

Each NDMP server may have its own syntax that it supports to modify
operations, and you can signal that with variables in the application
information attribute of the client.

Netapp supports a very limited exclusion, but it appears to be
name-based only, not location based.

In other words, you can exclude "dir" at all levels, but you cannot
exclude /vol/vol0/one/dir while allowing /vol/vol0/two/dir (assuming you
have /vol/vol0 as your save set).

--
Darren