Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.4 -> 7.4.1 or 7.4.4 and other upgrade questions

2009-02-04 16:25:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.4 -> 7.4.1 or 7.4.4 and other upgrade questions
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 08:20:39 +1100
Hi,

On 05/02/2009, at 03:57 , J. Carlson wrote:

I'm currently on 7.4 (Solaris server with Windows clients). I would like to upgrade to at least 7.4.1 in order to be able to backup Linux clients as
well (I have extra client connections).

1) Should I just upgrade to 7.4.1 to get the functionality I need (I don't really need any of the newer features in 7.4.2 - 7.4.4 at this time) or should I go to 7.4.4? 7.5 appears to have some issues so it's not even
under consideration at this time.

No, upgrade to 7.4.4. Forget extra functionality, the number of bug fixes as cited by the release notes should be reason enough to upgrade to 7.4 SP4.

3) To upgrade from 7.4 to 7.4.x do I need to uninstall 7.4 or can I run the upgrade right over my existing 7.4 installation? I read in the installation guide that a direct upgrade is not supported, but I'm not clear if that was
specific to upgrading from 7.3 or for any and all upgrades.

For Solaris, you typically have to do an uninstall/reinstall, though this leaves all configuration files in place.

For Windows, you should be able to just run the new installer; it will update the existing install. In previous versions of NetWorker this wasn't so good an option, but for the 7.4.x tree it has been particularly stable.

4) any issues I should be aware about in upgrading from 7.4 to 7.4.x?

You'd be best reading the release notes and see whether there's any cited "known issues and limitations" in there that may affect your particular site.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog:

http://nsrd.wordpress.com