Networker

Re: [Networker] VMWare consolidated backup client licensing

2009-01-30 10:25:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] VMWare consolidated backup client licensing
From: James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:21:28 -0500
On
> Behalf Of Greggs, Dana
> Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 10:11 AM
> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
> Subject: Re: [Networker] VMWare consolidated backup client licensing
>
> Why would you have a big cluster not serving many VM's? In my
environment we have
> several 3 way ESX clusters hosting hundreds of VM's running, Oracle,
SQL, Linux, etc.
> That said you DON'T have to use Virtual licensing, you can still use
regular CAL's. The
> way it works is Networker will look for a Virtual CAL if you have
configured the client as
> being Virtual. If there isn't a Virtual CAL registered it will use a
standard CAL. I don't
> have the Virtual CAL licensed but I am using VCB and Networker just
uses a standard
> CAL.

I would venture to guess that many folks/shops are running ESX on
slightly older hardware, or do not have as much as ram as needed, thus
requiring more Esx hosts to host more vm's...

Obviously, these days, the beefier your ESX hosts are  in both ram/cpu,
the more value you will get of both NW's, and VMware's licensing
models.... :\

jamie