Networker

Re: [Networker] nsrstage/nsrclone

2009-01-27 18:23:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsrstage/nsrclone
From: Frank Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 18:19:54 -0500
Today at 3:42pm, Tim Mooney wrote:

In regard to: Re: [Networker] nsrstage/nsrclone, Frank Swasey said (at...:

Alan,
nsrstage is used to move a saveset from one volume to a different volume. If you go into NMC's configuration panel and look at the staging rules, you can see the policies that are possible to be defined (number of days on the volume, %full of the volume). However, this is not a clone, the original saveset is deleted when the staging process is completed.

It may be semantics, but I don't completely agree with that last sentence.
nsrstage *is* a clone, but it's a clone that is (generally) followed by
a removal of the "original" (which might also be a clone).  If you do a
complete migration, you will have the same number of copies of a saveset
when nsrstage completes, whereas with a traditional clone, you would have
N+1 copies.

Yes, it's semantics -- or implementation details -- that nsrstage is really the combination of an nsrclone and an nsrmm -d.

As far as I'm aware, there is no way using nsrstage to wind up with N+1 copies -- you either get the original deleted or the new copy is marked as unusable (suspect, aborted). Thereby, you always end an nsrstage operation with the same number of copies you started with. Well, actually, it is possible to end up with N-1 copies -- if the copy that is chosen to be staged winds up being unreadable and getting marked "suspect".