Networker

Re: [Networker] nsrstage/nsrclone

2009-01-27 16:48:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsrstage/nsrclone
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 15:42:00 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] nsrstage/nsrclone, Frank Swasey said (at...:

Alan,
nsrstage is used to move a saveset from one volume to a different volume. If you go into NMC's configuration panel and look at the staging rules, you can see the policies that are possible to be defined (number of days on the volume, %full of the volume). However, this is not a clone, the original saveset is deleted when the staging process is completed.

It may be semantics, but I don't completely agree with that last sentence.
nsrstage *is* a clone, but it's a clone that is (generally) followed by
a removal of the "original" (which might also be a clone).  If you do a
complete migration, you will have the same number of copies of a saveset
when nsrstage completes, whereas with a traditional clone, you would have
N+1 copies.

What Frank is saying is important to keep in mind, though.  If you want
multiple copies of a saveset, you generally shouldn't use nsrstage,
because it's really meant to move savesets (by cloning and then deleting
the source), not produce duplicates.  If you want N+1 copies of a saveset
when your operation finishes, traditional cloning is likely the way to go.

Tim