Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Server boot.ini settings when RAM > 4GB

2009-01-22 03:46:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Server boot.ini settings when RAM > 4GB
From: Birk Bohne <birk.bohne AT BATCHWORKS DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:41:13 +0100
Hello,

the sysinternals website has detailed informations about the boot.ini switches.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963892.aspx

If you want to use more then 4GB RAM on a 32bit windows you need the PAE
switch. With the 3GB Switch each process can allocate 3GB RAM. Without the
switch 2GB is the maximum. The switch also reduces the kernel mem from 2GB to
1GB. As networker uses many processes with less than 2GB RAM, it's better not
to use the 3GB Switch and let the kernel use the 2GB.

If the hardware is 64bit capable, you can also use a 64bit Networker on a 64bit
Windows 2003. Then you can use the RAM without additional switches.

Birk Bohne
Backup and Virtualization Consulting
Erfurt, Germany
email:  birk.bohne AT batchworks DOT de