Networker

[Networker] Networker Server boot.ini settings when RAM > 4GB

2009-01-21 21:00:18
Subject: [Networker] Networker Server boot.ini settings when RAM > 4GB
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 20:56:11 -0500
Greetings -

We just doubled the RAM (to 8GB) in our 32-bit Windows 2003 Enterprise R2
Networker server in preparation for our upgrade to 7.4. from 7.3.3 per the
recommendation of one of the docs - the exact one escapes me at the moment.

I've added the /PAE option to the boot.ini file so that the various processes
can take advantage of the extra physical RAM, but I have not added the /3GB
switch because I'm unsure what the recommendation is.

I opened a ticket with Tech support and they were ... um ... not so helpful. Is
anyone aware of any guidelines for this? We have ~150 physical servers in our
environment to backup, plus 6 Celerra datamovers (soon to be 9 datamovers) that
do NDMP backups. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 100TB backed up per week. We
also have NMC running on a dedicated server, so the NW server is "pure".  The
backups route their streams to separate storage nodes, so the Networker server
does not usually process backups, but there are 30 or so devices zoned/local to
it (devices are in 4 VTL's and a physical library).

Any guidance/experience would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance
--brerrabbit