Networker

[Networker] Cloning from VTL to Tape

2009-01-20 11:17:26
Subject: [Networker] Cloning from VTL to Tape
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:09:50 -0500
halomerchant wrote:

> <snip>
>
> The problem is that nsrclone will only clone 1 volume at a time, therefore,
> all I/O is put on one drive, reading from 1 tape and writing to 1 tape
>
> <snip>

halomerchant -

Unfortunately, the phenomenon you are encountering is inherent to the nsrclone
executable.  It is possible to work around that by getting creative with your
scripting, e.g. create multiple lists of tapes or SSIDs and spawn a clone
process for each, but you need to be careful about how you set your lists up so
that savesets that span multiple tapes are accounted for.

It would be REALLY NICE if someone from EMC would address this in a release of
Networker.   I haven't had a chance to crawl through the 7.5 release notes, but
I seem to recall reading about "improvements" to cloning, maybe it's there, you
might take a look.  Otherwise, you're likely going to be playing with your fav
scripting engine for a bit...

--brerrabbit