Networker

[Networker] nsrstage references non-existant file (staging stalls)?

2009-01-12 12:03:06
Subject: [Networker] nsrstage references non-existant file (staging stalls)?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:01:44 -0600
I've seen several instances over the past few weeks where staging from
disk to tape just mysteriously hangs, even with space available on the
tape (as I've posted here about a time or two). Looking at the processes,
I see this one:

/usr/sbin/nsr/nsrstage -d -b stage -m -S -f /nsr/tmp/NSRSTAGE_CMD.5naOcL

Trouble is, /nsr/tmp/NSRSTAGE_CMD.5naOcL doesn't exist. I guess that might
explain why it's stalled... Or not: as per its man page, -d tells nsrstage
to delete the input file, but does it do that before it even starts to
stage? I assumed -d meant to delete the ssid file once staging completed.
Does it read the file, delete it and then start staging?

I have the recover space and file system check intervals in the stage
policy set to artificially short values, since I'm working with a small
test environment disk volume (recover space = 15 minutes, file system
check = 10 minutes) and don't want things getting out of hand.

The larger question is, why does it stall in the first place, with space
available on the target tape?

If I kill the nsrstage daemon and restart another one, it too references a
non-existant file and nothing happens. Only after killing off all "active"
processes (groups, staging, etc.) and manually from NMC initiating a
filesystem check on the disk volume will staging resume, still appearing
to reference a non-existant ssid file. But it then works, and to the same
tape as before. Weird, or am I missing something?

Thanks.
--
   Len Philpot

   Cleco IT Network Services, PGO3 - ext 7167
(318) 484-7167