Networker

Re: [Networker] Lrage File System Backup : Level Full

2009-01-12 11:53:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Lrage File System Backup : Level Full
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:50:29 +0200
psoni wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Few of the backup jobs ( Weekly Full ) are currently taking up to 17 -18 hrs so
I never had an overlap situation.

Hope that separate client instances would solve this problem.

You really don't want to do that. If your full will not finish by Monday and you will start the differential from another group, it will backup files modified since your last good backup (which was on Friday). So, you will have a full backup from Saturday, but the Monday backup will not be useful with that full. I am not even sure what will happen when you will try to recover in such a situation if you are recovering to Monday. The correct behavior will be to recover from Monday's diff and then go to Friday diff (and not use the Saturday's full). If Networker will try to recover from Monday's and Saturday's saveset the recovery might produce inconsistent results.

If I was in your position, I would want Networker wait till the full finishes before the next diff kicks off.

|This was sent by soni.parth AT gmail DOT com via Backup Central.

-- Yaron.