Networker

[Networker] Optimizing / performance tuning storage nodes

2009-01-08 13:53:53
Subject: [Networker] Optimizing / performance tuning storage nodes
From: JK <johannes.karlsson AT SKYRR DOT IS>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 13:49:55 -0500
Hi.

I want to configure a very robust storage node to write to an EDL 4200.

To do that I have zoned a DELL PE1955 blade through 2 HBS's to the EDL.
Each HBA is directed to a dedicated FC port on the EDL and each HBA on the
storage node has got 5 tape drives on the same VTL on the EDL. This storage
node will handle about 200 clients and is going to write about 25TB of data
every week, so I really need to think about throughput.

Now, the NIC is the bottleneck. The utilization is at 70% constant and
peaking to 85%. The PE1955 blade has got 2x 1Gb Nic's, but I fail to see
how I can utilize both of the nic's.

Does anyone have an idea how I can enhance the robustness even further?

What would be the best way to use the NIC's?

Regards, Johannes