Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up remote laptops

2009-01-08 05:16:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up remote laptops
From: Conrad Macina <conrad.macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 05:09:38 -0500
I'm aware of two products for laptop backups: PC Connected from Iron
Mountain, http://backup.ironmountain.com/, and EMC's Mozy,
http://www.emc.com/products/detail/software/mozyenterprise.htm.

Both have strengths and weaknesses. PC Connected is a traditional "big iron"
approach where you place storage centrally and laptops back up to it over
the wire, "incremental forever". I think it's also available as a service,
where IM maintains the iron.

Mozy is a very different product but is conceptually similar. AFAIK there's
no option for customers to bring the servers in-house; the company always
maintains the servers.

NOTE: I own no stock in either Iron Mountain or EMC, and I have absolutely
nothing to gain from anybody who may decide to use these products.

Please let us know the results of your investigation and what approach you
settle on.

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.