Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up remote laptops

2009-01-07 10:43:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up remote laptops
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:41:56 -0500
> From: "Conway, Sean" <Sean.Conway AT SONEPAR-US DOT COM>
> Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:36:28 -0500
> To: <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
> Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up remote laptops
>
> Yes.  Are you just installing legato client and running a scheduled job?
> I am running into issues with users not remembering to leave laptop
> connected to vpn so I can backup.

In my humble opinion, this is a lost cause. Laptop users here are
responsible for doing their own backups. If they decide to back up their
files to a departmental file server, then the files will go to tape by way
of that file server, otherwise not. For desktop machines, we require that
they map their C:\ drive to a file server, but that option is not practical
for portable computers.

If your laptop users are not enabling the proper network access to their
laptops, all bets are off as far as network-based backups are concerned.
This is a behavior issue as far as I can tell, not a software issue.