Networker

[Networker] Networker 7.5 released

2008-12-23 02:11:44
Subject: [Networker] Networker 7.5 released
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 02:07:57 -0500
matharvest wrote:
> Now we will all have something to do over the Christmas break ... whose
> going to jump first?
>
> New features and changes
>
>   [snipped down to features that affect me.  --TSK]
>
> Support for Probe-based backups
> LDAP v3 authentication for Console server users
> Changes to the Client Backup Configuration Wizard
> Directed recovery of save sets
> Script-less command line improvements for cloning
> Backing up renamed directories
> Parallelism for backup groups
> httpd replaces gsttclsh as web server process for NMC

Though the above features (kept from your list) are interesting (the probe
backup is an intriguing RFE that got shoehorned in), this item from the release
notes gives me serious pause:

LGTsc24548
Due to a Solaris 10 operating system issue, asynchronous tape input/output
operations are disabled by default. As a result, some I/O intensive operations
such as cloning will be slower.

There's also the note that an all LDAPS (SSL LDAP) environment can't run the
NMC Server on Solaris if you intend to use LDAP.  That could be a deal-breaker
for now here, and will require clarification with Sun (once they have their own
media release of course :) ).

There's an additional caveat of course:  This release requires another Update
enabler license (this would make two for me, if I went this route).

--TSK