Networker

Re: [Networker] Staging just stops... ?

2008-12-22 13:43:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Staging just stops... ?
From: Andrew Dietz <andrew.dietz AT OIT.GATECH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 13:33:27 -0500
Make sure that none of the save sets sitting in your AFT device have already expired their retention period. If they have, you will see messages in your /nsr/logs/daemon.raw that look like:

39078 12/16/08 14:25:14 0 0 2 1 16745 0 scotch.tape.gatech.edu nsrmmdbd Media DB error: Save set ssid:3691139955 cloneid:1229449336 eligibility can not be cleared, retention time must be adjusted first

and your nsrstage will look like it just sits there and does nothing.
This is something we just brought to EMC's attention and they have assigned a BugID # 6787552 to it.

If that is not the case, make sure that your staging policy is set with a destination pool that matches that to which your mounted tape volume belongs.

Andrew

Len Philpot wrote:
I don't recall if I've asked this here before or not, but if so, please bear with me.

I have a small-ish test environment running 7.4 (Sun version) on Solaris 10 SPARC, with an adv_file device and SDLT320 drive to which it stages. More than once, I've come in after a weekend (as I did today) to find that the stage target tape is marked appendable, 47% full (eg., today) and yet staging has just stopped with the alert "Waiting for more available space on filesystem '/dbu/_AF_readonly'. Sure enough, /dbu (mount point for the adv_file device) is 100% used. However, the state policy is set to 70%/50%, 4 hour recover space interval and 3 hour filesystem check interval and it's been waiting all weekend.

So why has it stopped staging?

There's an nsrstage process out there, but it's just sitting there. Plenty of space in /tmp, etc., nothing meaningful in the system log beyond what I already know. Just no activity. trussing the nsrstage process just shows it sleeping. In the past when this has happened, it's taken killing that process, labeling a new stage tape and manually kicking it off again.

???
--
Len Philpot
   Cleco IT Network Services, PGO3 - ext 7167