Networker

Re: [Networker] Other back-up products besides NetWorker

2008-12-19 09:37:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Other back-up products besides NetWorker
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:35:14 -0600
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
12/19/2008 05:20:43 AM:
tkimball

> We don't use EMC's Networker; We use Sun's.  The reason was simple:
> We're a high-level Sun reseller.  In pricing out Sun support contracts
> for Networker and NetBackup some 8 years ago, Networker won hands
> down, full stop (it still does, despite the Tier 5 DBO).  And it was
> icing on the cake that (at 2 AM Eastern no less!) I have good to
> excellent phone support.

Years ago (before I became involved with Networker), my employer bought it
directly from Legato. Then we later re-bought again from Sun as Solstice
Backup. Reason? I was told that Sun's support was so much better than
Legato's that it made the purchase worthwhile. That was prior to the 4.2.x
days, which is when I started working with it. From what I've been told,
we were using ArcServe prior to that, without much satisfaction. We've
looked [briefly] at NBU, but Networker is a fraction of the price. There
was no way we could justify the massive difference in $$$, plus the cost
(and pain!) of conversion from Networker to NBU.

> However, I still experience stan's support woes at times, which can be
> slow as treacle.  I have to open a Sun case - which in turn can become
> a Legato (now EMC) RFE or bug case.  But on balance I've been happy.

Yep. For a while there, I got to 'know' a few of Sun's support engineers,
but those late night phone visits have diminished since the 6.x days. I,
for one, don't miss WISS errors...  :-)

> [This is, btw, despite the fact that the local techs who visit on
> high-level sales stuff (usually NDA things) may not know anything
> about Networker, and talk in terms of NetBackup.  This makes pre-sales
> footwork a must in dealing with Sun & Networker.]

That never changes, particularly with Sun (internal) sales reps.

> While I do feel that it would be great to have better tools GUI-side
> on Networker, it should not be the end-all/be-all.  There are edge
> cases after all (some severe, like mine) that can be easily enough
> fixed with a script or two, a little training here and there, and some
> half-decent documentation (preferably vetted through a couple rounds
> of audits, as well as an emergency or two).

I'm certainly happy to do everything I can through a GUI, given that it's
a decent GUI, but so far Networker really hasn't delivered on that IMO,
although nwadmin and now NMC are *workable* (but far from ideal). But, I
still use them. However, please please please don't lock out my ability to
command-line twiddle and script if the occasion calls for it. Most (but
not all) of the scripts I've written are simply conveniences, time-savers.
But I would sure hate to lose them to a locked-up interface. Sure, you
have to understand and debug scripts, but once done they're great
consistency-boosters and error-prevention devices, particularly in jobs
that would otherwise involve significant admin interaction. Plus, it makes
it much easier on me when I'm taking vacation to be able to say, "Just run
'xyz'" instead of going into multiple Networker commands. :-)

> years before VTLs even existed.  I don't regret that today, but will
> give me future headaches if current feature trending - away from
> adv_file - continue.

We're just now looking toward backup to disk (adv_file) with it in a
casual test environment right now, so I'm still relatively new to the
tech. What trends are you talking of?