Networker

Re: [Networker] Other back-up products besides NetWorker

2008-12-18 16:53:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Other back-up products besides NetWorker
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:50:32 +1100
On 19/12/2008, at 08:40 , Tim Mooney wrote:

I agree that it would be nice if NetWorker exposed this functionality
via the GUI, so that people that are just learning NetWorker have an
easier time with it.  However, the fact that it (and a lot more) can
be done via a powerful set of tools like mminfo, nsrstage, etc., to
me devolves into giving a man a fish vs. teaching a man to fish.

Maybe I'm just behind the times, but is it really the expectation these
days that someone should be able to be responsible for the backups and
data protection of an enterprise without being able to do modest
scripting or being willing to learn?  That's such an alien idea to me
that I have a hard time even understanding where the "no scripting"
crowd is coming from.

There seems to be some resentment towards scripting from some quarters, but I prefer to think of it from a slightly different perspective.

There are two types of backup products - those that try to stand as monoliths, and those that act as frameworks. A monolith is basically designed on the principle that if you want to do something that isn't catered for in the GUI, you shouldn't be trying to do it. A framework is more based on the notion that the designers can't possibly come up with a system that does _everything_ that _everyone_ wants, and therefore provides a good mechanism for extending the product from the command line, via scripting.

That extensibility is actually one of the core features of enterprise products - and in that sense, both NetWorker and NetBackup certainly fall into that category.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog:

http://web.me.com/prestondeguise/nsrblog/Welcome.html