Networker

[Networker] EMC Networker / Celerra Data Mover - Can I share a TLU?

2008-12-09 10:19:57
Subject: [Networker] EMC Networker / Celerra Data Mover - Can I share a TLU?
From: bobalob <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 10:13:16 -0500
Brendan Wrote:

> HI Dave.
> One other gotcha. make sure you have separate pools for NDMP and non-NDMP
> backups. It isn't supported to have both types of backups written to the
> same media unless it is through a normal networker storage node.
>
> From admin guide
>
> NDMP and non-NDMP save sets on a single volume are not supported, unless
> the data is backed up to a NetWorker storage node.
>
> Cheers!
> Brendan

Hi Brendan, I've just noticed duting my testing that networker server has
written it's index saveset to the same pool as my NDMP backups. I'm guessing
that this is an issue since the data mover could theoretically write to the
same tape as networker does when it's writing it's indexes.

I guess what i'm asking is am I going to have to split the indexes from the
main backups now? I think this could be a pain as i'd end up with 12GB used in
indexes on an otherwise empty 800GB LTO-4 tape which seems a waste to me.

I suppose I could work out a way of getting the indexes written out to my
vmware pool which would have some spare space, but then i'd need both vmware
and ndmp tapes to do my recover.

Have you got any advice on this?

cheers,

Dave.