Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker Retention Policy Qs?

2008-12-03 04:39:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker Retention Policy Qs?
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 04:35:27 -0500
On 12/2/08 10:31 PM, JGillTech wrote:
Jonathan,
What version of NetWorker are you running? I just upgraded from 7.3.3
to 7.4.3 over the weekend and I'm now working an issue with EMC where
127 tapes are reporting their volretent based on the ssretent instead of
the clretent values of the save set instances contained on them.

In 7.3.3, the volretent was properly being set based on the clretent
values. In my experience (5 days) with 7.4.3, the reported volretent
from mminfo is being controlled by the ssretent value.

I am running the latest, 7.4.3. My volretent is based on the ssretent rather than the clretent. On my full backup volume, I have an ssretent of 11/2/09 and a clretent of 1/2/09. My full backup pool has a 2 month retention, and the clone pool has a 1 year. The ssretent value is equal to that of the longest save-set instance. The volretent should be based on the clretent rather than ssretent.

In 7.3.3, the volretent was based on the clretent. And I have confirmed in my own installation, that the problem I am seeing in 7.4.3 with the volretent values being set to the ssretent, that it is only affecting volumes that were full before I upgraded to 7.4.3. Like you, I haven't reached the point where I can be certain that what EMC Support is telling me that the volume will still be recyclable on Christmas day even though the volretent value says August 2015. For volumes that I am writing data to now, the volretent is properly following the clretent values. So, there's some strange bug in the NetWorker code base in 7.4.3 that is screwing up pre-existing volume's volretent value. You are welcome to point the support person you are working with to the SR I have open with them -- which is 26876892.

However, from what I understand the nsrim command will run and expire this volume around 1/2/09 + 1 week for the dependent incrementals regardless of NetWorkers volume expiration date. I have yet to see this happen. I am beginning to think NetWorker is not the ideal solution for my small-mid environment I have been running the system for 9 months now with nothing but troubles. I completed an intensive training session and read almost every page of the administrative guide... I don't think the product failure is user error at this point. The documentation doesn't go into the nitty gritty details... such as clone-ids.

That is the same line EMC Support is giving me. Since they don't ever see the source code, they can't know that. So, time will tell. But I'm still pushing about why the volretent values are wrong.

Yes, the documentation is essentially by programmers for programmers. It assumes a lot. I've only been doing this for 19 months myself. I'm starting to get the hang of it.

My own feeling (this is personal opinion, I have no facts to back it up, it's just a gut feeling I have) is that 7.3 and 7.4 are major re-writes and the first real heavy changes since EMC bought Legato. As such, they are really rough. EMC is attempting to modularize the code to allow for larger environments and to really make it work as a cooperating group of programs instead of a single monolithic program. That's never an easy task, and they're having a fair number of failures in the interactions between the modules. But, I feel they are making progress.

And we do have this mailinglist that is really fantastic. It has helped me understand a lot about how NetWorker does things -- even cleared up a couple of major mis-understandings I had about things.

If you define the owner notification attribute for the client resource, this no
longer functions to the best of my knowledge in 7.4.3.

Yes, that is true. It is a bug and EMC is working on fixing it. We actually don't use the owner notification attribute, instead we have a perl script that we use for regular savegroup completion notification that based on the save group name sends the email to the correct people. If you would like that, email me off-list and I'll gladly share it with you.