Networker

[Networker] NetWorker Retention Policy Qs?

2008-12-01 20:54:33
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker Retention Policy Qs?
From: JGillTech <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 20:50:38 -0500
Preston,

Did you run these test backups from the command line or within the GUI?  I am
not that good with NetWorker yet to come up with such a quick test.  Likely
take me an hour to conclude the same thing... setup a group, create new media
pool, label tapes, etc.

Anyways... I noticed the same phenomenon with your first backup.  You had a
save-set retention of 12:30:07pm and a clone retention of 11:50:00am.  The
save-set took the retention of the clone pool, 50 mins.  I would expect these
figures to be reversed... well I did until I understood clone-id.  What this
example says to me is the clone-id (this particular instance) will expire at
11:50am and the save-set will expire at 12:30 pm.  Because the second instance
(the clone) has an expiration of 50 minutes.

Your test throws me off... I would have thought these save-sets would remain
given the ssretent on this one:
idata idata.001 12/02/2008 11:40:00 AM 12/02/2008
12:30:07 PM 12/02/2008 11:50:00 AM

The retention values on the clones make sense... just as in my example.  Did
you look at the volume expiration after you conducted your test?  I suspect the
volume would expire at 12:30... (if that was the only save-set on the volume).

Am I making any sense?  Perhaps I am not looking at this the right way.

NetWorker says the expiration for my full backup volume will be 11/02/09 rather
than 1/2/09.  Like your example.. I have a ssretent of 11/02/09 for my cloned
save sets...  Is this a flaw in the program or do I still not understand whats
going on here?

I really appreciate everything you are doing for me... EMC was not as helpful.
Thanks!

PS:  Can you walk through your example and explain the logic if it makes sense
to you.  Volume expiration is based on ssretent and dependencies...