Networker

Re: [Networker] Celerra Recovery

2008-11-21 18:33:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Celerra Recovery
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 23:31:16 +0000
On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 05:31:15PM -0500, Alex Alexiou wrote:
> In our case, we used nwrecover from the networker server and the data
> was redirected to the celerra. Can't say we're thrilled about being
> forced to use a "similar" device for recoveries, but this seems to be
> the only supported way in Networker.

Has nothing to do with Networker.  This is a limitation of NDMP.

NDMP is a control protocol and does not specify any particular backup
format.  Since the networker client doesn't run on the NDMP host, it
can't force any particular format.  So the stream that comes from the
device is a black box, that is only guaranteed to be understood by that
type of device.

Now in practice, it seems that most NDMP hosts are using a semi-standard
format.  For instance netapp filers use a format based on ufsdump, and
have a note about how you might use a Solaris machine to read the dump
stream after going through many machinations.  I've seen others that use
'tar' format.  But you can't assume anything.

As far as networker is concerned, the NDMP stream can only be restored
to an NDMP device, and you are responsible for making sure the device
can handle it.

--
Darren