Networker

[Networker] Restore from scratch

2008-11-14 12:29:50
Subject: [Networker] Restore from scratch
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:26:53 -0500
clepron wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there any way to restore a server (windows 2003) from scratch with
> Networker 7.3.2  ? (i.e, without have to install new system and then have to
> restore on it)
> So is there a disaster recovery system ?
>
> Sorry, but I don't know this product and I would be sure backups are
> efficients.
>
> Thanks
> Christophe

If the server you want to restore had the ASR recovery save set backed up as
part of the normal backup routine, you can attempt to do a bare-metal recovery
with that.  Here's a microsoft article the talks about this in general terms:

I've had some success with this in the past, but in general I would not give
high marks to Networker for doing bare metal recoveries of any sort, ASR or
otherwise.  There are too many parameters that have to be 100% identical to the
original system for you to have any confidence that the bare metal recovery
will work with Networker.  Most of the big backup systems have this problem too
(bare metal restores of Windows boxes), so it's not unique to NW.  There are
3rd party packages (Homebase leaps to mind, but there are others) that can
address just the bare metal recovery portion of the restore.

HTH
--brerrabit