Networker

[Networker] Solaris on SPARC vs x86

2008-11-13 06:10:04
Subject: [Networker] Solaris on SPARC vs x86
From: was9999 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 06:07:40 -0500
We implemented a VTL 4 virtual drives using a 48Tb Sun Thumper (based on
solaris x86) just recently.  Formerly we were running on a Sun Sparc V240.  We
have had no problems at all.  We just moved the console server over to another
sparc based server.  We have a storage node based on a T2000 at another site
with tapes jukeboxes for staging onsite and cloning offsite tapes.  When we get
to a 6tb high watermark, we have in house scripts stage off the oldest savesets
until the virt drive is under 5tb.  I do not believe we had any issues with
licencing from memory and it was only a few months ago.