Networker

[Networker] multihomed windows client backup problems, v7.4

2008-11-07 08:10:19
Subject: [Networker] multihomed windows client backup problems, v7.4
From: gharma <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 08:04:42 -0500
Hi,
I previously posted with the full details of this issue on Sept 19
see:

or:
http://tinyurl.com/5obxha

Briefly, the issue is that this W2k3 R3 server allows communications with the
backup server on only one interface and the hardware firewall between them does
the same.

The backup is defined using the save -c <proper DNS fqdn>
as was suggested in the reply to my reference prior posting here.

Now, sufficient time has passed for the behavior to again develop.

Basically, with no changes to the client or server, one day backups start
failing and remain failing despite efforts that have included an uninstall of
the client, removal of storage and of registry used by the client install,
search for related files in temp directories and removal, all followed by
client software reinstall.

Note that client reinstall does not require reboot.  So far the only thing that
has in the past cleared the inability of the backup server to use the correct
interface has been a reboot of the client, which of course is problematic for a
production server.

The nature of the failures is exampled by the following, which appears for each
saveset in the emails I receive (note: I run the client not the backup system).
 In the example below I have substituted <right fqdn> and <wrong fqdn> for
where the correct and incorrect DNS hostnames (fully qualified) appear.
As was said in the initial posting, the client does not know any name for
itself except its <right fqdn> unless for some reason it were to do a reverse
DNS lookup on the IP of that other interface.
Example of report for a saveset, all are
* <right fqdn>:ASR:\ 1 retry attempted
* <right fqdn>:ASR:\ 39078:save: SYSTEM error: client `<wrong fqdn>' is not
properly configured on the Sun StorEdge(TM) Enterprise Backup Server
* <right fqdn>:ASR:\
* <right fqdn>:ASR:\ 5777:save: Cannot open save session with <right fqdn>

Any ideas?
IIRC use is made by the backup server of reverse DNS resolution.  What might
happen if I caused that to no work (i.e. get the PTR DNS record for the wrong
fqdn removed from the DNS in-addr.arpa zone) ?

Also, I would like to more clearly thank Patti Clark for her prior reply
pointing out use of the -c option on the save command, as when I tried to do so
in the prior thread it had become polluted by a reply with a new post so my
thank you may have been obscured.

Roger