Networker

[Networker] de-duplication

2008-11-06 16:16:52
Subject: [Networker] de-duplication
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 16:13:43 -0500
Lancy Quadros wrote:
> We had a meeting yesterday with the Avamar folks at EMC. They mentioned
> that it is possible to tape out the data that lands on the Avamar grid
> using Networker - did not go into the details of how that is done.
>
> For backing up databases, we were told that there are modules for
> Oracle, SQL Server, Exchange etc but there is no licensing costs for
> those. The licensing is based on the compressed capacity and not on
> features.
>
> We have been invited to see the product in action at the EMC offices in
> Warrenville IL.
>
> Lancy

We heard the same thing by the sales guys (in fact I had a post here asking
about NDMP backups of the Avamar datastore a while back), but the reality is
that once it's on Avamar, it stays there.  If you want to have something go
onto other media, you'll do that in addition to the backups that land on the
Avamar, not a clone or stage from the Avamar to other media.  In a combo
Networker environment, this is not a big deal, one client resource will point
to the de-dupe node and another client resource will point to a file or tape
device.

The other item to note is that you should really only by these in pairs,
replication to another Avamar server is essentially a requirement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about using the system, but I would
recommend that you talk to a technical person about your needs and, if you
decided to buy the system, take the Avamar admin class asap.

The stuff that the EMC guys said about the licensing for the app modules is
true, but you should know that Avamar has problems with large app databases
(Exchange, SQL, etc), because the larger the database file the more RAM is
required to break it into chunks.  Talk to your rep for more details, but
definitely keep it in mind when you're pondering it.

HTH

--brerrabbit