Networker

Re: [Networker] de-duplication

2008-11-04 04:17:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] de-duplication
From: Siobhán Ellis <siobhanellis AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 20:11:46 +1100
Please note I said backing up mySQL. I'm actually using Zmanda's ZRM to do the
snapshotting for me, an dthen backing up the flat files using NetWorker
integrated with Avamar. So, we are not using any of the Avamar application
modules.
Siobhán(Ellis is my family name)> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 08:43:58 +0400> From:
mesut.mert AT GMAIL DOT COM> Subject: Re: [Networker] de-duplication> To:
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> > Ellis,> First of all thank you very
much for details. One question, i installed> Avamar and use for flat files as
it is not supported for any database.> Networker 7.5 will be supporting oracle,
exchange and sql, but not released> yet. Are you using Avamar? Have you ever
tried restore from deduped SQL> backups?> > Thanks & regards,> Mesut> > On Tue,
Nov 4, 2008 at 3:21 AM, Siobhán Ellis <siobhanellis AT hotmail DOT com>wrote:>
> > depend son if youare talking about de-duplication at target or> >
de-duplication at source.> >> > de-duplication at target, if you are using
NetWorker, will pretty much fall> > into using EDL (EMC Disk Libraries). Now
they have OEM'd Quantum's VTL> > software they have de-dupe on there. However,
at the moment, they do not> > have the storage node capability for NetWorker,
ironically only NetBackup.> >> > de-dupe at source you'll need to upgrade to a
minimum of 7.4.1 (Personally,> > I'd go 7.4.3). From 7.4.1 a part of avamar is
built in to NetWorker. It's> > actually avtar, which is the avamar equivalent
of save. It sends the data to> > an Avamar Data Store instead of a normal
storage node. There are plenty of> > papers that talk about how avamar actually
works, so wont go into that. As> > far as the integration with Networker goes,
you need to set up a client, and> > mark it as a de-dupe client and where it's
going to go. If you are going> > through a firewall you also have to open port
27000, or 29000, to get to the> > DataStore.> >> > I've had a solution running
it that has been going for about 2 months now.> > We see about 50:1 compression
on an active mySQL database, and about 250:1> > on file and print servers.> >>
> Achilles heel? Tape out. Basically, if you want long term storage you have> >
to take a periodic NetWorker backup.Siobhán> Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 16:20:58> >
-0500> From: networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM> Subject: [Networker]> >
de-duplication> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> > Hello,> Can
somebody> > give me a brief run down on how de-duplication actually works and
what> > software you'd need?> We have networker 7.3.2 on Solaris 9.> Thanks> >>
> +---------------------------------------------------------------------->> >
|This was sent by h.jenkinson AT manchester.gov DOT uk via Backup Central.>> >
|Forward SPAM to abuse AT backupcentral DOT com.>> >
+----------------------------------------------------------------------> >> >
type> > "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to> >
networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with
this> > list. You can access the archives at> >
http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or> via RSS at> >
http://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?RSS&L=NETWORKER> >
_________________________________________________________________> > Take a
summer road trip with Windows Live Hotmail. Multiple prizes and the> > ultimate
dream beach house!> > http://www.ninemsn.com.au/hotmailroadtrip> > To sign off
this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and> > type
"signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to> >
networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with
this> > list. You can access the archives at> >
http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or> > via RSS at
http://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?RSS&L=NETWORKER> >> > To sign off this
list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff
networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT
listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can access
the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or> via RSS
at http://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?RSS&L=NETWORKER
Net yourself a bargain. Find great deals on eBay.
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Frover%2Eebay%2Ecom%2Frover%2F1%2F705%2D10129%2D5668%2D323%2F4%3Fid%3D10&_t=763807330&_r=hotmailTAGLINES&_m=EXT