Networker

Re: [Networker] Format of tape

2008-10-30 01:21:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Format of tape
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:19:01 +1100
On 30/10/2008, at 16:10 , kurianv wrote:

Preston de Guise wrote:
On 30/10/2008, at 15:52 , kurianv wrote:

How do I format a tape in Networker 7.2 on windows. That is I want
to make this tape almost as good as a new tape without any previous
logical label on it. I see an option while labelling the tape where
there are two checkboxes one for Manual recycle of tape and another
for mounting of the tape. Will checking the manual recycle part
solve my issue...?

NetWorker doesn't have the concept of formatting tapes; the procedure
in which it labels tapes and updates end of written-tape markers is
sufficient to avoid the need to blank out an entire tape.

Enabling manual recycling is used to prevent NetWorker from
automatically recycling the tape, even when it is logically available
for recycling (i.e., means that the tape requires manual intervention
to be recycled).

Thanx very much for the reply mate...so u mean that relabelling a tape , that is overwriting of a tape is meant by formatting of a tape...?

If you've come from a backup product that formats the tape in as much as it prepares it for first use, yes, labeling/relabeling logically performs the same function. However, in practice it doesn't 'format' the tape; instead, it writes the tape label (twice), then writes two end of file markers. NetWorker interprets a double EOF as "end of tape" and will never go past that point on a tape. Any time a backup is run, the 2nd EOF is overwritten, and at the end of the backup, a new double-EOF is written.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=AU6396&isbn=9781420076394&parent_id=&pc=

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com