Networker

Re: [Networker] VCB & Networker

2008-10-15 16:25:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] VCB & Networker
From: James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:21:52 -0400
From: Fazil.Saiyed AT anixter DOT com [mailto:Fazil.Saiyed AT anixter DOT com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 3:26 PM
To: EMC NetWorker discussion; James Pratt
Cc: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Subject: Re: VCB & Networker

Hello,
I think there is mass confusion here, if you are truly using VCB proxy, which
is also your storage node, one Networker client is suppose to backup all the VM
Guests, now how exactly networker keeps track of each clients data  should be
all detailed in VCB integration Guide.
That is a start
HTH

----

Yes, I agree - that is because there are different ways to backup using vcb /
NW - as tkutil pointed out, you can backup a number of them using one client
config. the "Proper" saveset commands have never really been "given" - For
example, in the current Legato Integration guide, it says you can use:

VM:vmname:*FULL*

But OTOH, I always just use

*FULL*

In the saveset field to get a full image of the particular client using the
vcbuser account. (I believe it was this way since the first integration pack,
but not sure).

I'm not sure which, if either, is correct. The vcb guide does not give much
help regarding networker-specific saveset info - the most info I have found is
in the legato/vmware integration readme.html - I was only asking as I was
wondering if this reduced client license usage in NW...

In any event, I will try the aliasing out myself, as I am running low on NW
client lics and if you can backup multiple vm's in one client, I'm all for that
assuming you can discern which is which on restore.

Thanks,
jamie