Networker

Re: [Networker] Move tapes offsite & autochanger

2008-10-14 20:32:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Move tapes offsite & autochanger
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 02:29:02 +0200
JGillTech wrote:
My clone operation ran for the first time over the weekend. Now I want to take the tape out of my Quantum Scalar 50 library and move offsite. What is the process for taking a tape out of the autochanger and making NetWorker aware of the change? I did the following procedure, but ran into some issues along the way: 1.) Marked the tape full with "nsrjb -o full {barcode} 2.) Updated the location field with NW Admin Console
3.) Brought tape library offline, and pulled tape
4.) Inserted new volume into library

When I brought my library back online, I noticed the status of the library within the Admin console didn't reflect pulling the tape. So I manually tried to inventory that slot.. which didn't pickup the change (very concerning). So I issued a "reset" command to the library, which finally worked. Then I relabeled the new tape. I went to the volumes tree under media (NW Admin Console) and noticed the location field didn't retain the information. I update this information once again. What is wrong with this process? Furthermore, I tried to use the offsite flag with the command "nsrmm - o offsite -v {barcode}" I didn't notice this actually doing anything to the volume... nothing I could query or see for that fact. What does this do, if anything? Should I use this in my offsite procedure?
BTW:  I don't have any load/unload ports on my Scalar.

Actually, the manual states clearly that you can configure the library to have six (LTO) slots to be load ports instead of being a regular ports.

|This was sent by Jonathan.Gill AT uconn DOT edu via Backup Central.

-- Yaron.