Networker

Re: [Networker] Move tapes offsite & autochanger

2008-10-14 19:04:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Move tapes offsite & autochanger
From: Rachel Polanskis <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT au>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:59:48 +1100
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, JGillTech wrote:

The -w withdraws one or more catridges to the cartridge access ports... I don't
have load/unload ports on my library.  So this doesn't apply. Same with -d for
deposit.

We use an L700, which has CAP (Cartridge Access Ports). With Legato on Solaris 9, we can still use sjirdtag commands to interrogate the CAP and find out if there is anything in the slots - via a very old script called "jbscan".

It is very useful as we can tell if Volumes in the CAP have been collected or not by the Offsite company that gets/returns them for us. The output looks something like this:

/opt/scripts/jbscan -c
1 CL0451
2 CL0457
3 CL0460
4 CL0462
5 CL0463
6 NO-BARCODE
7 NO-BARCODE
8 NO-BARCODE
9 NO-BARCODE
10 NO-BARCODE
11 NO-BARCODE
12 NO-BARCODE
13 NO-BARCODE
14 NO-BARCODE
15 NO-BARCODE
16 NO-BARCODE
17 NO-BARCODE
18 NO-BARCODE
19 NO-BARCODE

So this has been very useful to us. We also use the same script to interrogate tape drives and see if a volume is mounted, so that our labeling scripts don't stick around if there are no free drives to label a tape:

/opt/scripts/jbscan -d
1 EMPTY
2 106096
3 EMPTY
4 105188
5 EMPTY
6 EMPTY
7 010997
8 EMPTY
9 EMPTY
10 106094

But on Solaris 10, in their infinite wisdom,  EMC have dumbed down the product
from 7.3.x on
and allowed all this to be controlled by their daemon nsrlcpd which doesn't know anything about CAP ports and the sji* commands are now no longer working.

So, we are in a position where we have a tape library 50km away and we can't
analyse the contents of the CAP port without going and making a visual
inspection - how 20th century ;)

If anyone knows how to interrogate a CAP port without the sji* commands, we
would be very interested.

rachel

Francis Swasey wrote:
Hi,

Read the nsrjb man page -- specifically the -w and -d flags.  I assume
you are likely running NetWorker 7.4 since you just did clones for the
first time.... it has a library management daemon that really hates you
doing manual changes.  As you found, you have jump through extraordinary
hoops to make it see reality after performing manual changes.

I am also assuming that your library has one or more I/O slots for
programmatic deposit and withdrawal of tapes.

Frank