Networker

Re: [Networker] Move tapes offsite & autochanger

2008-10-14 07:31:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Move tapes offsite & autochanger
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 07:28:51 -0400
What version of NetWorker are you running? (If you've already said in a previous post and I forgot, I apologize for asking again).

Starting in 7.3, NetWorker has a new library management daemon (or service if you're running on Windows) that I've found to be rather poor at keeping track of reality. I've worked with EMC for over a year because it just didn't work properly with the Qualstar XLS we purchased in 2007. They finally got a working hot-fix for me for 7.3.3 after the code was frozen for 7.4SP3 -- so, it isn't even fixed in the latest and greatest... further I've since had to back out half of the hot-fix because it was causing nsrmmd to core when labeling brand new tapes (ones that had no label on them at all) -- so, time will tell when EMC can really make NetWorker work with a tape library now that they've spun it off into its own module. I just hope it is sooner rather than later. I am quite honestly worried that they are trying to do too much too quickly.

Frank