Networker

Re: [Networker] Move tapes offsite & autochanger

2008-10-14 02:27:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Move tapes offsite & autochanger
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:22:38 +1100
If you are using 7.3.3+ or 7.4 versions then the procedure could just
be:

1. open library.
2. remove tapes.
3. close library.

Networker will detect the library going offline when you open the door,
and will refresh its inventory when you close it. The resulting location
for the removed tapes will be blank.

You could if you want subsequently update the location field with
something else if you want - we used to have scripts that put 'Offsite'
in the field, but really that's a waste of time because a blank field
conveys the same information which is 'not in a library'.

What I genrally do these days is provide the tape operators with a
webpage where they can paste the receipt email from the offsite storage
people and it updates the location then. So blank location means 'in
transit' and the tape ops only update the location when the tape is back
at rest, whether it's the 'green cabinet on level 6' or Iron Mountain.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright
material of Macquarie Group Limited or third parties. If you are not the
intended recipient of this email you should not read, print, re-transmit, store
or act in reliance on this e-mail or any attachments, and should destroy all
copies of them. Macquarie Group Limited does not guarantee the integrity of any
emails or any attached files. The views or opinions expressed are the author's
own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie Group Limited.