Networker

Re: [Networker] Move tapes offsite & autochanger

2008-10-13 13:00:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Move tapes offsite & autochanger
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:55:24 -0500
> 1.) Marked the tape full with "nsrjb -o full {barcode}
> 2.) Updated the location field with NW Admin Console
> 3.) Brought tape library offline, and pulled tape
> 4.) Inserted new volume into library

> What is wrong with this process?

Nothing that I can see. I've scripted a similar process that has worked
for years:

1. The script uses mminfo to report on which clones are to be pulled
2. I physically pull them from the libraries (no port either, I just open
them up)
3. Once the libraries are back online, the script reinventories the
slot(s) (nsrjb) and sets their location to a special "offsite" value
(mmlocate)

It does a few other QA and compliance things, but I've never had any
issues with it. However, that's using 7.2. We'll be going to 7.4 in the
next few months, so I'm all ears if there are issues with this
procedure...