Networker

Re: [Networker] Move tapes offsite & autochanger

2008-10-13 11:48:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] Move tapes offsite & autochanger
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:45:33 -0500
Hello,
Most admins have various scripts to pull out the tape which networker
recognizes, it's combination of mminfo & nsrjb cmds & any other processing
you may like, however, i your case you do not have I\O slots it would be
slightly different.
There may be other ways, if your tapes are being removed during day time
with no networker actively then you can just use nsrjb -HEvvv after you
have removed the tapes and inventory again to get the tape lib in sync
with Networker (make sure no backups are active), what is happening with
your process is that networker is not aware of the tapes being pulled and
will get confused.
HTH

JGillTech <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
10/13/2008 10:35 AM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Move tapes offsite & autochanger

My clone operation ran for the first time over the weekend.  Now I want to
take the tape out of my Quantum Scalar 50 library and move offsite.  What
is the process for taking a tape out of the autochanger and making
NetWorker aware of the change?  I did the following procedure, but ran
into some issues along the way:

1.) Marked the tape full with "nsrjb -o full {barcode}
2.) Updated the location field with NW Admin Console
3.) Brought tape library offline, and pulled tape
4.) Inserted new volume into library

When I brought my library back online, I noticed the status of the library
within the Admin console didn't reflect pulling the tape.  So I manually
tried to inventory that slot.. which didn't pickup the change (very
concerning).  So I issued a "reset" command to the library, which finally
worked.  Then I relabeled the new tape.  I went to the volumes tree under
media (NW Admin Console) and noticed the location field didn't retain the
information.  I update this information once again.

What is wrong with this process?

Furthermore, I tried to use the offsite flag with the command "nsrmm - o
offsite -v {barcode}"  I didn't notice this actually doing anything to the
volume... nothing I could query or see for that fact.  What does this do,
if anything?  Should I use this in my offsite procedure?

BTW:  I don't have any load/unload ports on my Scalar.

|This was sent by Jonathan.Gill AT uconn DOT edu via Backup Central.

type