Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO tape drives on Linux

2008-10-10 12:29:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO tape drives on Linux
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:26:21 -0400
David Stes wrote:
Brendan,

In practice the IBMtape and lin_tape drivers work fine,
and in fact, our users report that driver works better than Linux st,
although that IBM says the drives work with both st and lin_tape

We've been using IBM LTO-3 tape drives on Linux with no problems. I only remember reading about not using the IBM driver. Perhaps it's fine, but we've always used the native Linux tape drivers.

George

We have had users with LTO-1,2,3 and have fibre channel (SAN) users with LTO-4
(with Brocade switch in mixed Solaris/Linux/AlphaStor setup with Linux)
 and IBM tape and lin_tape works fine, with up to 160 MB/s per LTO-4 drive.

Over the last few years (2002-2008), I've opened several cases with Legato
and EMC to see under what circumstances tapes would be overwritten.

The response that I got from EMC was that it was a documentation error, which was the result of a certain case, where IBM actually provided a fix.
I've requested the case details where the 'overwritten' errors happened,
and they were never provided. I've asked for IBM LTO firmware and switch revision and HBA details, and
driver version that would have that bug;  but I've never seen it.

In the end, I got a statement from EMC that they cannot guarantuee that
tapes cannot be overwritten by the IBMtape driver, but that nobody has
been reporting any errors like that, and that they would change the footnote,
because that they believed that in practice IBMtape worked better than st.

Regards,
DAvid
---