Networker

Re: [Networker] VCB & Networker

2008-10-09 16:43:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] VCB & Networker
From: "Rutherford, Rodney" <RRutherford AT PEABODYENERGY DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:36:11 -0500

That is not possible!  The VCB proxy has to be a Windows server, and
since ESX is Linux, that won't work.  Of course, the whole idea of VCB
is to remove the backup load from the ESX host, so it wouldn't make
sense to have it as the VCB proxy even if you could.

It sounds like what you are referring to as the Consolidated Backup software
is actually the Service Console Backup Enablers for NetWorker.  That does
get installed on the ESX host, and is actually just the software dependencies
to allow you to install the NetWorker client on the ESX host.  You can then
backup the ESX host as a standard Linux client; however, that does not backup
the guests.

> Do I have to create a NetWorker client on each VM? If so, why am I
> bothering
> with this exercise at all? I thought the idea behind doing VCB backups
> was
> to back up the Vmware server and have that backup encompass the VMs
> that are
> hosted on that machine. Am I misunderstanding this?

You are not misunderstanding the concept behind VCB.

> How do I create a VCP proxy server? Where do I get those NetWorker
> scripts?
> We did install the Vmware consolidated backup software on our Vmware
> ESX
> server, so is that what you mean?

Install Windows Server 2003 + SAN connectivity, then install

VMware Consolidated Backup:

        http://www.vmware.com/download/download.do?downloadGroup=VCB115

+ VMware Integration Module to Legato Networker:

http://download3.vmware.com/software/vi/VMware-legato-networker-integration-102898.zip

+ the standard Windows NetWorker client

> If your reply was not directed to me ... Never mind!

Please note that the ESX host Service Console Backup Enabler for NetWorker
software is at:

        http://download3.vmware.com/software/vi/legato-networker-addon-64557.tgz

Rodney

E-mail Disclaimer:
The information contained in this e-mail, and in any accompanying
documents, may constitute confidential and/or legally privileged
information.  The information is intended only for use by the
designated recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient (or
responsible for the delivery of the message to the intended
recipient), you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying, or other use of, or taking of any action
in reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this email communication in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete the message from your system.