Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO tape drives on Linux

2008-10-09 15:54:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO tape drives on Linux
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 14:50:17 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] LTO tape drives on Linux, Francis Swasey said...:

Wouldn't putting something like:

post-install st /sbin/stinit

in the /etc/modules.conf file solve that problem? Assuming you have a '/etc/stinit.def' file in place, I would think it would run stinit against it before NW is started. That's how we do it, anyway. I have that line listed last in modules.conf with no special entries in the NW startup script itself. Also, the startup numbers for the NW scripts were kept as installed:
I was not aware of that option. If Red Hat's modules.conf file can do it -- all the more better. Yes, I have the proper /etc/stinit.def in place. The modification was just to run /sbin/stinit as the first instruction in the start() routine of the /etc/init.d/networker script -- So, this should work just fine. I'll have to test it though...

I am rather confused why so many distros are still using modules.conf with a 2.6 kernel. modules.conf is obsolete and replaced by modprobe.conf. It just seems that the distro makers don't know that and they insist on using clumsy methods of converting from one to the other.
Yes, well... Red Hat Enterprise Linux v4 has moved to the modprobe.conf and the post-install command is no longer valid. So, that option fails in testing.

The exact same thing can be accomplished with slightly different syntax,
though.  Look at the example given in the "install" section of the man
page for modprobe.conf.

Off the top of my head, you want something like

install st /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install st; /sbin/stinit

Tim
edu