Networker

Re: [Networker] VCB & Networker

2008-10-09 13:21:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] VCB & Networker
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 13:17:03 -0400
> From: tkutil <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
> Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 12:54:11 -0400
> To: <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
> Subject: [Networker] VCB & Networker
>
> Is your VCB Proxy the same physical machine as your Networker Server or
> another physical server?
>
> You should have a VCP proxy server with the Networker scripts installed. This
> should be a physical server.
>
> Create a Networker client for the VM you want to backup. In the client select
> VCB and enter the name of the VCB proxy server.

To whom are you responding? If me, then the answer is that the VCB proxy and
the Vmware ESX server are on the same physical machine. My NetWorker server
is separate.

Do I have to create a NetWorker client on each VM? If so, why am I bothering
with this exercise at all? I thought the idea behind doing VCB backups was
to back up the Vmware server and have that backup encompass the VMs that are
hosted on that machine. Am I misunderstanding this?

How do I create a VCP proxy server? Where do I get those NetWorker scripts?
We did install the Vmware consolidated backup software on our Vmware ESX
server, so is that what you mean?

If your reply was not directed to me ... Never mind!